About Me

My photo
Santa Clarita, California, United States
Jonathan Payne is a freelance artist residing in Santa Clarita, California. His sculptures and paintings focus primarily on creature and character design . He has studied under Jordu Schell (Men In Black, Edward Scissorhands, Avatar), concept sculptor Simon Lee and fine art sculptor John Brown. He prefers to sculpt in oil, polymer and WED clays. Recently he has become consumed with creating an original line of tumorous balls of flesh known as the Fleshlettes. In addition to his macabre "babies" he also enjoys composing fine art sculptures depicting both wildlife and the human form. Jonathan is available for hire as a freelance artist and for individual commissions.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

New Sculpture: "Old Man of the Forest"



We went to the zoo instead of watching the Superbowl and I was touched by the big old male orangutan that lives there. He inspired a new appreciation for the apes and I wanted to sculpt one. Zbrushing hasn't been so hot lately on my aging mac so I broke out the super sculpey and tools and went to work. This is about halfway to completion. Comments/criticism always welcome.

8 comments:

Lacie Runolfson said...

It's brilliant my love. *Ooo Gruff thump*
I do want a full body though.

john:P said...

shit john, this is looking very nice. I do believe we should have a sculpt-off ho down one of these days. what is the material your working with?

Anonymous said...

I'm using super sculpy. Just pick it up and your local art store. I got it at a blick art store down here. The stuff is poops-mcgee!

john:P said...

I just ordered some super sculpty and I am super stoked!! It looks like it has alot of strength, really holds lines well. Might I say it looks Like HD clay? I just did.

Anonymous said...

It holds lines well but it is softer than I would like at times. Really I'm going to move onto Super Sculpey Firm when I finish using up the rest of this box. Either one is good but I think I'll appreciate a little tougher, less squishable clay next time around. I think you can only order it online though. It's easy to tell apart from regular super sculpey because it's grey rather than flesh-colored.

J 1/2

john:P said...

ohh! snap! I just received my super sculpy. It is super sculptastic! made a little alien head, which will soon be blogged. What a fun material. Definitely gotta get some sculptural dialogues going here.

Jon said...

Sweet! Let me know when you put it up, I want to see!

Anonymous said...

That is F'N SWEEEEET!!

C:\had